Sunday, December 21, 2008

Blindfolded, eyes wide open.

Listening to: Sublime - Ball and Chain
Feeling: Slightly confused

It's those pills that you don't need to take
medicating perfection, now that's a mistake
I know that you're spent, just let me sing you to sleep
It's your finger and how I'm wrapped around it
It's your grace and it keeps me grounded
-The Spill Canvas, "Lullaby"

Why do these lyrics make me sick to my stomach? And not in a good way. They make me uncomfortable and skeptical. I've always loved The Spill Canvas, but lately I just can't listen to their music because it's all about connections and love, and let's face it... those are things I can't comprehend right now. I'd get frustrated if someone kept trying to speak to me in Chinese, why should songs about something I've never experienced be any different?

I know its probably not normal to feel this way. To look around at couples and feel, simultaneously, grateful that I don't need someone else to complete me and wishing that someone who makes me nervous for all the right reasons would just come along already. Sometimes I wonder if I want certain things just because society tells me I should. I think too many people in this world are so terrified of being on their own and facing who they really are, that they just jump into the nearest set of open arms. However, I'm also not too proud to admit that it's been so long since I've had someone shake me up that I have, despite my efforts, become slightly bitter. Not so much that it's irreversible or affecting my life in any major way, but it's still shows up sometimes. But honestly what I want, what I really, really want can't be found in any relationship or bought in any store. I swear I'm going to make this life work for me.
I will be happy and satisfied. And I find it hard to believe that anyone other than myself can make that happen.

2 comments:

theworldyoulove said...

agreed completely.
but on a total side note, i saw the spill canvas play an acoustic set at newbury comics a few weeks ago, and they played that song, and it broke my heart. it is a beautiful song though.

daytrippr said...

Oh no, I agree. I do love them and their music, don't get me wrong. I just get sick of the subject matter sometimes.